Wednesday, April 2nd, 2008

Bad Luck Barbie: Continued

My Bachelor Recap will follow, hopefully tomorrow, but here’s what’s been going on in the meantime.

On Sunday, I was thrilled to get my very first migraine headache (Mom, please make sure you put that in my baby book). I spent much of my day throwing up and sobbing hysterically. I woke up with this same headache Monday. I felt too weak to shower, so I washed my hair in my bathroom sink and went to work. On the way to work, I stopped at the grocery store to pick up some Advil and ginger ale. My total came to $11.75. I had $2 cash and no debit card in site. The sweetest woman in all of SW Portland, paid for my order. I cried all the way to work.

The headache continued. On Tuesday, I went to work and then came home, feeling nauseous. After emptying the scarce contents of my stomach into the toilet, my head began pounding. I called my mom in hysterics. We agreed that if I woke up feeling the same way, that I’d go to the ER.

Please keep in mind, that I was supposed to leave on a work trip today.
Scary Morning. But all betters now.

Yup, I woke up, and it was worse. Because of a family history of stroke, I had my pretty little head cat scanned. It was normal, ha! Basically, I just have the world’s worst migraine (my words, not the doctors, but I am sure he meant to say it).

I am home now. In bed, trying to not scratch my nose off (a fun side-effect to my medication is an itchy nose). I’ll be skipping the business trip and taking it easy.

I’m really not sure how much more of this I can take. It’s getting ridiculous.

1. Radioactive Jam says:

You are *seriously* overdue for a luck change. Hope the migraine stays away, and the itching stops before you scratch off your nose. And not just because doing so would interfere with any scratch and sniff activities.
    :-P

1. Nic says:

I promise that it will get better. I had a very similar time this past summer where I NEVER believed it would get better, and it did. Relax and take good care of yourself.

1. Fluent Brittish says:

Oh Rhi! No Disneyland? I am so sorry!!!

That woman who helped you out at the store sounds like an ANGEL!!! Oh my gosh! There ARE still good people in the world!

Hope you’re feeling better soon! Thanks so much for the hat! I love it!

1. cc says:

Last year I had a migraine for 10 days. It was horrible. I even worked with it, as a cashier, well, I did until I passed out anyway. I hope you feel better soon.

If caffeine isn’t a trigger, try this.

Coffee ice cream, Excedrin migraine, and a Pepsi.

Drink the entire Pepsi with two Excedrin, then eat about half of the ice cream. It’s just enough caffeine to loosen up the pressure. I did this when I was pregnant, with 4 Tylenol instead, and it really made a difference.

1. Abbie says:

Good God Lady, I hope you are okay.
            I was reading a blog yesterday and it mentioned chocolate is great for headaches and migraines, I haven’t tried it, but I thought to mention it. Can’t hurt right?
            Please take care of yourself.

1. Heather B. says:

If there is anything I am so very thankful for it is that I have never experienced a migrane. I used to get bad headaches but nothing like what you have experienced. Like my eyes never wanted to dislodge themselves from their sockets. So, yay!

Get better soon!

1. Michael Beck says:

How is your stress level? Have you been battling a lot of major life changes lately?

As soon as you said they gave you a cat scan and it came back normal (Thank God) and couldn’t diagnose you with anything, it reminded me of an episode I had 4 or 5 years ago.

I had suffered from stress-related headaches for a few years up to that point, but nothing was as bad as the one day I got out of bed and felt like someone shot me in the front of my head with a .22 caliber. I collapsed from the shot of pain.

Went to the ER, did a cat scan, came back with nothing. Then the doctor suggested I have a spinal tap done, which I agreed to. Came back clear as well.

They sent me home with a prescription for Vicodin and that was it. No diagnosis at all, just “take two of these and call me in the morning.” Literally.

This happened while I was still married.

After my divorce was final and closed out my business and started doing the things that I enjoyed again, those headaches were history, and I’ve never experienced anything close to what I did that morning, since.

1. She Likes Purple says:

I haven’t given birth so some people will seriously roll their eyes at this, but I stand by the greatest pain a person can go through is a migraine.

I really hope you’re feeling better.

1. Adria Sha says:

Migraines are the worst. I wouldn’t wish one on an enemy. :( Hope you’re feeling better soon.

1. Ali says:

Uggy. How are you feeling now?

For some reason I was thinking that according to some article caffeine made headaches worse — but — I know when I have a headache (not a migraine, just a headache) I am immediately reaching for a diet pepsi on ice. :) I think since I crave it so bad in those situations my body is telling me to drink the evil caffeine, and I do it happily.

Thinking good thoughts for you chicky.

1. Aileen says:

You know…when I had my tubal ligation last month… I had the itchiest nose EVER! The nurses told me it was from the medicine they were giving me..

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. I hope this migraine leaves you soon. Poor thing :-(

No bag yet. Maybe today?? I’m excited about it!! :)