Tuesday, September 17th, 2013

Back to Work and Off to School


Since we last spoke, there have been some big changes in our world.

We bought a new house, moved, sold our old one, (in that order, because we really like to fly by the seat of our pants over here), took a kid-free trip to Napa, sent Henry to school and I went back to work.


More on the house later, I promise.

We’ve been thinking about finding a little “school” for Henry for quite some time. We do go to a lot of playdates, classes and activities (We’re Mr. Ben groupies), but we felt like Henry might need some time to learn without being under the watchful and micro-managing eye of his mother.

We toured a couple schools and then decided that maybe we needed to wait a bit longer as we weren’t impressed. One school had some outdoor space that seemed really unsafe to me and another school had a questionable staff turnover rate. Thankfully, we found my dream school for Henry shortly after. We put him on the waitlist and crossed our fingers.

Right around the time we learned that a spot had opened for Henry, I received an email from my former employer asking if I’d be interested in covering for a former colleague’s maternity leave. And, well…I was about to have some time on my hands.

The decision to go back was easy, honestly. I loved my job and this was an opportunity to do very similar work on a part-time basis.Which honestly is something that I had hoped for after Henry was born. I don’t plan to be a full-time stay-at-home-mom for the rest of his childhood and this is a great opportunity to test the waters AND get something on my resume to fill an almost two-year gap. Plus, I get to work with a bunch of people I really, truly like and have missed.

So, win-win.

Now, on to Henry. His first day of school was great and there were no tears (from him). Bill had the morning off and we had breakfast at Tasty and Sons where I cried several times (I was just really emotional about the Potatoes Bravas) and went to Pottery Barn to buy a TV console where I also cried. His school is 5 minutes from our house, but I left 45 minutes before school was over to ensure I’d be there the second pick-up time started. When I walked in, I expected to see him in a heap on the floor crying for his beloved Mama. But, nope. His teacher said they kept waiting for him to cry, but every time they looked over at him, he was downright gleeful. He even took a nap.

Unfortunately, the first week of new germs were a little too much for our boy and he came down with a nasty virus on Friday. He still had a fever during the day Sunday and therefore could not go to school on Monday so it took some creative scheduling to figure out how someone could be home with Henry and I could be at my first day of work. But, we did it. And, I wore dry-clean only clothes for an entire day, which is the true victory, honestly.


Comments on this post

  1. Kristabella says:

    Congrats on all the big things!
    Kristabella´s last blog post ..It’s A Bloggy Blog World

    1. Linda Stewart says:

      It’s hard to believe Henry is old enough for Preschool. Seems like only yesterday when he was born. Precious little man he is! Congrats on the new house and the PT job!

      1. Liz says:

        Oh wow you’ve been busy! Congrats on the new house and the job! Boo to germs though.

        1. Kali says:

          Wow! So many things! Congrats on everything and how did Henry get so old!? Such a handsome fella. Can’t wait to see house pics!

          1. mona says:

            Yay for dry clean clothes! And how cute does he look holding that sign? Super cute!
            mona´s last blog post ..I am the best weirdo

Rhi in Pink All rights reserved © 0-2013

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley